A page with random thoughts, deep questions, personal info, and just about anything else that pops into my head.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Goodbye, Professor Bouman

My freshman year of college, I began studying with a voice teacher for the first time. Her name was Sandra Bouman, and even though I didn't realize it at the time, she did a lot for me. Even though I was kind of familiar with a little classical music, she completely introduced me to the world of classical vocal music. Even better, she introduced me to my first opera experiences. During my studies that year, I was constantly getting frustrated because I had so many technical errors that needed fixing, and it seemed as if I would never get it. I was seriously considering finding another major. She wouldn't hear of it, though. She constantly reassured me that although I had a lot to fix, and it didn't sound great at the time, I was on the right track and I would get there eventually. She helped me through my lack of music theory knowledge, and taught me so much about music I thought my head would explode.

Even though I didn't have her for my 2nd or 3rd year, she was still always there to answer questions and provide a very helpful point of view. She was just a great all around teacher and person.

I found out June 22, at about 9:30 in the morning that she had passed away after a 12 year battle with breast cancer.

Today is her funeral, and even though I have come to accept the fact that she is no longer with us, it is still hard to think that she won't be there to hear all of her students progress. On my recital comment sheet (that I recieved about 8 days after she passed away), she had so many great comments, and said that she was anxious to hear more. I feel that I still had a great deal to learn from her, and I think that it will be a hard year not only for me, but for all of the voice students at SIUE.

Goodbye Professor Bouman, you will be greatly missed!

1 Comments:

Blogger ~stacey~ said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!

11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home